Friday, March 12, 2010

Help a friend

If you help enough people get what they want, you'll end up with everything you want...Zig Ziglar.

So true. Seems as though the more I pay attention to this principle, the more the world confirms it. This concept has been top of mind for me for the past two years. This kind of focus has almost forced me into the mindset of looking for opportunities to help the great people I know who could ultimately help me. Last night I had one of these example come up, so I feel compelled to share the story.

Our market here in Bloomington is relatively small in the remodel/home building arena. There's a lot of volume, but there's a relatively small number of "players"...a few big fish in a small pond. A few years ago I met one of the good guys on the real estate/home building side. He instantly made the list...the list of guys who could have an impact on my business, if I made it a point to help him.

Make a long story short, today he's been a great help in my business. He's given me roof projects on four or five of his rental properties, and has referred at least twelve people who've bought roofs from me. Awesome center of influence for me, to say the least.

Last night, I got a chance to re-pay this man. I was going door to door in the premier subdivision in town, trying to drum up leads for my contracting biz. I was having a good amount of success, really, and was feeling pretty damn confident. I stopped at the house I actually consider my dream home, because it's about 16 years old, and will be needing a roof soon. The owner was friendly...receptive. Turns out he's selling the place and would rather the new owner handle the roof. His only immediate request was that I help him with a leak he's been dealing with since last summer. When he told me he was wanting to sell, I asked who he was planning to list the house with. He had no real loyalty to any particular realtor, but had decided to use a guy I know at Prudential. By the way, this guy he said he was using, the realtor, is a total dick. He took a bunch of free window treatments from my wife, promising to steer business her way and never reciprocated. He's one of those blowhards who takes free lunches all week from small business owners who count on realtors to direct business to them, as their main system of marketing. This guy really only worries about himself, yet he promises everybody everything, just to look big time. Anyway, because of the tremendous support I've received from my realtor buddy, I went out of my way to push the issue with this homeowner. By the time I left, he couldn't wait to speak to my friend. When someone gives such strong reviews, who has no skin in that particular game, it sends a strong signal to the buyer. I think I just got my friend a $1.8 million listing. All because he helped me over and over without any expectation of getting anything in return.

This morning, by 9:00 am, I've already received two calls from people with roof issues who got my number from this same realtor. Amazing what happens when you help great people without expectation. It's the way the world works.

The real key here is that you're only going to get referrals from people if they're willing to go out of their way to help you. You have to make quite an impression for them to carry you that close in their day to day dealings. Think about that for a second. Everybody has their own issues they're dealing with. The last thing on anybody's mind is what's going on with you and what you need. They've got their own problems...family problems, cash flow problems, employee problems, customer problems, you name it. So, when, in the course of their day, somebody mentions in passing needing a roof, I'd better have done them right if they're going to stop what they're doing and say...."I've got a guy you have to call. He's the best, the only guy in town I'd ever use for a roof project". My situation last night is a great example. My boy has given me over $50,000 in profit from his referrals. Hell yes I'm going to find him every single piece of business I can find. His commission potential on this one house is at $108,000. Think he'll go out of his way to keep referring me to folks who talk about needing a roof? I believe he will. Plus, it felt damn good to make that call to tell him I may have gotten him a listing. Is there anybody out there fighting in your corner?

Keep this in mind when you feel like you're done for the day or the week. There's always time to go out and find a way to help somebody..especially somebody who could help you at some point.

Flip the switch

No comments:

Post a Comment