Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Take a step at least

Tony Robbins once said "never leave the site of setting a goal or making a decision without doing something toward its achievement". Great advice.

My primary "things" goal is to own a kick ass sports car. Originally, I wrote down an Astin Martin. The DBS Volante model is the one I enjoy most, or at least I think I would enjoy the most, since I've never driven one. But, recently...within the last six weeks or so, the Audi A8 and R8 have climbed the ladder toward the top of my hot car wishlist. Either way, it's easy to understand what I'm working towards here.

The cynic may rush to judgement upon hearing this, labeling me shallow or superficial, or whatever. Number one, I don't give a rat's ass what assholes like this think or say. They're chickenshit and are more worried about telling others what we can't do instead of doing anything themselves. Number two, they'd be right if I went into hock over a car like this, while my kids ate cat food at home. If I had the jack...correction...WHEN I have the jack, I'll walk right into that dealer and drop $130K on one of these badboys and won't lose a wink of sleep over it.

Today, I took a necessary step toward making this dream a reality. I scheduled a meeting with the owner of the Audi dealership in Highland Park and announced I would be coming in to look at the R8 and A8 models he had on the lot. He was able to fit me into his schedule pretty much right away(no wonder, the place was a ghost town when I got there). My intention was to solidify this goal by throwing a little gas on the fire. I want one of these rides pretty damn bad, I think about it regularly.

After this trip to the dealership, this goal has reached a "whole nother" level inside of me. Owning a car like James Bond has been on my mind for some time, yes, but now it's a white hot burning obsession. Just the appearance of both models blew me away. The R8 was sleek, low to the ground, and the power was beyond anything I'd ever driven or ridden in. The A8 was absolutely pimp. It was jet black with crazy technology inside. The smell of the finest leather I'd ever experienced on both car's interiors is still lingering in my senses. Driving these machines made me feel like a better man. I could build anything I decide to in the state I found myself in, driving these fine automobiles.

But, look at that other paragraph again. I said I scheduled a meeting with the owner of the lot. Notice I didn't sneak onto the damn thing, and hide from every salesperson, hoping to not be noticed. Straight to the top...the only way to approach something like this. How would James Bond go about getting a car like this?
WWJBD(what would james bond do)?

We all need this type of emotional draw toward our goals if we truly want to reach them. Just thinking about them on an intellectual level will not do it. If we can't FEEL what it's going to FEEL like when we be it, do it, have it...whatever IT is, then we'll have to rely on will power when the going gets tough while pursuing this goal. Will power alone is rarely enough. It may be enough for those rare few who were either born with or instilled with the self-discipline to just decide to perservere. Most of us don't have this kind of strength and will power. We need this extra boost of being able to feel what it's going to feel like when we've done it.

My suggestion is to take one of your goals in each category of your life, and take a step toward its manifestation tomorrow. Some small step is all it takes. No, scratch that, that's weak. Go out tomorrow and take a huge step toward your goals. We've got to start thinking much bigger than we have been thinking. And I'll tell you something, I'm not hoping to have this badass car someday. I'm going to have this car within the next three years...and I'm paying cash.

Flip the switch

2 comments:

  1. Thanks homey. Couldn't put a roofing or window sample in the back of one of those though...or golf clubs for that matter.LOL

    ReplyDelete