Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Let's Get on With It

If we are not really fired up about what we're doing in our careers, it's time to get on with it.

I'm just going to put this out there and be forthcoming. Hopefully you all will appreciate my honesty. If I hear myself tell my wife one more time how much I'd rather be writing and creating content full-time as a career instead of building this window biz and my roofing biz, my head may implode. There it is, fellas, I said it. I've been a raging pussy about this and it's time to own it. And for all of you who are not fired up about your gig and you're not jumping out of the rack in the morning, it's time for you to own it too.

Yes, I have been blogging and working on my book pretty consistently. Yes, I have a pretty damn good couple of gigs right now and I'm making great money. But, the reality is nothing lights me up more than writing and creating this stuff. Nothing. Truth is, I want to sell this business and write full time. Don't care if I make the same money as I have lately. Fact is, I can get by on less than half of what I'm making now. But, I'm just not moving at a pace to get there. The argument could easily be made that I'm taking consistent action toward the goals I've set in this particular area of my life. That argument would have merit, no doubt. But, down deep, I know the skinny and I can not kid myself any longer. Time to pin my ears back and get to work.

There's a distinct difference between somebody who's working and somebody who's working with a purpose and sense of urgency. The 90 Days to Discipline has been effective in keeping me locked in on the fundamentals and the proper actions I need to execute every day. That's great, we all have to take consistent action to make it real. After all, it's what we do every day that determines our outcomes. But, when it comes to the writing aspect, I've gotten into a routine. But, I'm not doing it hard, with purpose, with the balls I carry when I'm working in my other two endeavors.

Moving forward, I'm taking a more aggressive approach. I'm establishing a launch date for my book. A public declaration of my intent is the kind of commitment I need to make to get that ever-crucial sense of urgency. Looking like a talker instead of a doer is effective leverage for me. My brain links tons of pain to looking like a poser. So, the gauntlet has been thrown. Book completion, rough draft at least, by May 15, 2010. There it is, fellas.

Enough about me. What about you? What is it that you'd rather be doing? Because I'm also sick of hearing the same complaints from you. You can't sit in a holding pattern any longer either. Time is flying. We are all getting older. Fourty? We are all either there or are getting real damn close. Guess what? Fifty is on a dead sprint toward us as we speak. The worst...the absolute worst scenario I could imagine, at age 50, or 60, would be to be sitting in my car, thinking the same thoughts, churning through the same bullshit rationalizations about why I can't do what I really love. What a fucking tragedy that would be. Imagine it, looking yourself in the mirror...looking your wife in the mirror, trying to justify why you never did what you said you were going to do with your life. Remember those big dreams? Remember those conversations with your wife or your kids about building this business, or buying this big house, or taking that kick ass vacation...the ones you promised them. The ones you promised yourself. I've got news for all of us. If we are not doing the thing we absolutely love, we will never be happy. We will never be financially free. Never. No one gets on in this world by simply chasing a paycheck. We are selling out.

Am I recommending you go out and scrap your job or biz or whatever? No. But, I am begging you to schedule yourself an hour per day, every day, starting tomorrow, to sit down by yourself and give this real thought. What would you love to do with your time if you were already rich? Take the time to explore your brain. Figure it out. Right now. You may not have the perfect idea just yet. Hell, no great ideas come to us when we're being soft. Only when we are winning, when we are doing the things we committed to and are having success will our best ideas show up.

But, we have to start somewhere. Get busy, get moving, doing something. Do your job to the best of your ability. Leave it all on the field. Get into that state. Think and dream for an hour per day. Take action tomorrow. Do something every single day with a sense of urgency to make this real. We can't wait, we can't put this off. Our lives are on a dead on sprint. The time is right now.

Flip the switch

No comments:

Post a Comment