Thursday, February 25, 2010

Not Good...Great

We are a few weeks into 90 Days of Discipline, and we're faced with a choice. We have a decision to make. So far, we've done a great job...of creating a vision, setting some long-term as well as short-term goals that will serve as milestones toward that vision, we've created plans to achieve these goals, and we've broken down our lives into Simple Disciplines, that will propel us toward our goals when executed consistently and with passion. Awesome.

Now, we have a choice. We can sit back, bask in the glory of a phenomenal couple of weeks, pat ourselves on the back and feel good. Or, we can take a good, hard look at where we're really at, and get our butts back in the saddle on the pursuit of a life that's worthwhile for ourselves and our famiies.

Yes, you're right - we've done well. We've closed deals, we've opened new doors with prospects that are GOING to become customers. We've busted our butts in the gym for a few weeks, and we've cleaned up our acts at the chow trough. But, do me this favor. Be proud of what you've done. Take a night this weekend and celebrate. But, leave it at that. Don't delude yourself. You're on the path, yes. But, you're still a long, long way from becoming anything. Three weeks of consistent execution of Simple Disciplines is fantastic. Three years of executing Simple Disciplines is a real accomplishment. And this is what it's going to take.

Every single person I know has done something similar to what we've done these last three weeks. Whether it's a diet/exercise routine, a new focused plan to grow a sales territory, a new-found desire to be a plugged-in husband and father, I've seen this before. I don't want to rain on our parades, but we're not even close. Look at every gym in town in January of every year for the last fourty years. January, it's packed. 75% of the folks in town are sweating it up at the gym...the treadmill, the elliptical, the weight room...they're all packed. Now, come back in February. It's a ghost town.

With all this in mind, what are we going to do now? I know exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to not only finish what I've started with 90 Days to Discipline...I'm going to blow it up. The formula we've created is a good one...it works, so I don't want to mess with it. My emphasis is going to be on these two aspects or ingredients...focus and state.

I've said on many occasions how critical it is to not only be consistent with executing Simple Disciplines, but to do it with passion. Passion comes from knowing what you want, specifically and WHY. Let's go back over our vision and our goals and re-explore our reasons for building a better life. These reasons are what compel us to get up every morning and take action.

Here's my plan of action moving forward:

I'm going to keep arising early, and locking in 100% on visualizing my life "as if".
I'm going through my list of things I'm grateful for in my life.
From this, I will get myself into that state in which I'm on fire
Then, I'll start my day...with focus, with clarity, and in a state in which fear is gone and confidence is jumping off me. Charisma, confidence, focus, and determination will guide me.

Flip the switch

No comments:

Post a Comment