Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Some difficult questions

I've asked you to create a vision for your life as part of this 90 Days to Discipline, so you'll have a compelling image in your head to work toward. The more vivid your vision,the more compelling your reasons why, the better your results become in building this vision. Let's take this a step further...

When you visualize the various aspects of your vision and the goals associated with it, I want you to think about how it will feel when you accomplish them. For example, how will it feel when you get down to your goal weight? Write down your answers. How will you feel when you hit that annual income of $500,000? Jot down the things that come to mind when you put yourself in a real situation in which this has become real...maybe you and your wife are sitting down with your accountant or tax guy this time next year and you're looking at your return, and it says $511,000 in your W-2 space. Or, perhaps you're at the computer, booking a trip to Hawaii with a local travel agent for your family. Doesn't matter what it is, what matters is that you're visualizing yourself in a real circumstance in which you feel unbelievably proud because you hit your objective.

I'd like to offer a few of my own thoughts and processes for my visualization exercises....

My main health and fitness goal is to get my body to 165 lbs with less than 8% bodyfat. Each morning, during my focus session(My Morning Do) and each night(laying in bed), I can actually feel what it will be like to get up out of bed each morning with a lean abdomen. My reflection in the mirror is impressive, with a chiseled chest and abs(hokey, I know).
I envision myself playing basketball at Noon Ball at IWU, and I have that explosive first step I had when playing in high school. I can feel myself getting up on the rim, pulling down rebounds like back in the day.

I picture a scenario in which I come off the golf course with my buddies in the summer and join the wives and kids at the pool. My shirt comes off immediately because I'm the most ripped dude out there-including the 18 year old kids who are back from school. One of the guys in my foursome is kind of an asshole and is competitive with me, so I love the look on his face when I strip off the shirt and he gets a gander at how jacked up I've become. Then, I catch a glimpse of the whole group of wives checking me out, most of whom are trying to do it on the sly, so their hubbies don't feel insignificant. It's this kind of vivid imagery that turns this goal into a white-hot obsession in my mind.

On the business/financial side, I go through a similar process. My mind takes me to my office-a blown up version of what I have now. The office is large with the most exquisite mahogany, custom-crafted woodwork. The decor is simple, yet elegant. Absolutely no clutter and it's easy discernable that the guy residing in the office is in control of not only himself, but his team and companies.

I enter the boardroom for a weekly strategy session with my Core Group. We discuss direction of each division and the progress they're making. We cover only high-level topics...financials, strategy, people, and the systems we utilize to make it all happen. I conduct the meeting and keep it on topic, moving swiftly from point to point, making big decisions quickly once all the relevant information is gathered and considered.

I see myself driving the car I want so badly. I picture myself flying a private jet to look at a potential acquisition in California....

I'm talking very specific details. What's most important is I know exactly how it will FEEL to be this guy, to do what he does, and to have what he has.

The whole point is to transition our vision into a burning obsession within us. I know the detail I go into during my viz sessions is crazy and it may seem extreme. Fact is, it's working.

I want to take you down a different path, now. I want you to ask yourself a few different questions...like what will it feel like if you don't follow through? On the health and fitness side, what will it feel like this summer when you're wanting to swim at the family birthday party, but your little man boobs are hanging down for the kids to see? Maybe one of the younger boys makes a comment..."Uncle Greg, you look like you need a bra". Devastating. Or maybe your buddy peels his shirt off, this is the guy you are friends with but you kind of can't stand, and you catch your wife looking him up and down? That'll sting a little. Maybe your son looks embarassed when you take your shirt off. He sees your buddy and says..."whoa, mr james is totally ripped dad". You feel about an inch tall.

How about on the financial side? Your daughter turns 16, about the same time her best friend also turns 16, her friend's dad buys her a brand new VW convertible and gives it to her with a big red bow. Meanwhile, your daughter isn't getting a car, because you're late on the $280 payment on your beater. Think of how you will feel in that scenario. How will your little girl feel? Her sweet 16 may not be as sweet as her friend's?

How about this...ever wonder if your wife is willing to put up with struggling financially for the rest of her life? While they may not come out and say it...women want the finer things. They may not need 3 carat stones in their ears, but they sure want more than to scrape by every single month, because you haven't figured out how to get control over yourself-your emotions, your negative thoughts.

WOW, I'm actually depressed writing this. But, this is critical to consider. There is a price for everything. Everything we do, everything we don't do. We have to take a good, hard look inward every once in a while, to make sure we're on track. Now, I am a huge believer in moving TOWARDS good things, not moving away from bad things. But, I had to bring these tough questions to the forefront. It had been a while since I looked at the cost of inaction...and that cost, as we now see, can be great.

So, moving forward, let's stay locked in on the compelling vision for our lives. Be detailed, be specific in your viz process. Then, work like hell on the Simple Disciplines we've outlined. We must think big(vision) and execute the fundamentals, all while acting as if. We will get there.

Flip the switch

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant! I don't know what else to say. You have my desire burning white hot the whole way down the read.

    ReplyDelete