Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A less invasive approach

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I spend a good deal of time studying, so that I can make the internal changes that are critical to making the external goals happen. Again, the process is first we must BE, then we DO, finally we HAVE...in that order.



With this philosophy in mind, we must ask ourselves..."what are we putting into our minds"? Our environment plays a huge role in shaping who we are. WE BECOME THE AVERAGE OF THE FIVE PEOPLE WE ASSOCIATE WITH THE MOST. This is irrefutable.



My business environment is pretty solitary, in that I spend a ton of time in my vehicle, calling on dealers and prospects, checking jobsites, and overseeing our grass-roots marketing team. I don't have people around me I can pull from in order to learn and grow. If we're not growing, we're dying.



I've turned this disadvantage into a huge advantage. Almost every minute I spend doing windshield time I'm using to shape my mind through building positive belief systems...How? My vehicle is now a mobile learning unit. Remember, it's not what we do every once in a while that determines our outcomes, it's what we do every day. So, every day I'm listening to personal development programs, sales training, health and fitness audio books, and biographies of great men in history. For example, I've gone through the entire Get the Edge Program from Tony Robbins. Unbelievable program. I've listened to the audio version of the classic Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill. This book is the foundation of all P.D.



Fourteen years of this has completely changed my life. Before I embarked on this journey, I was a negative guy-full of fear and limiting beliefs about who I was and what I could and could not do. Most of the time, in business, I was paralyzed by fear and insecurities. Meetings frightened me, any time I was asked to speak at a meeting, my heart almost jumped out of my chest.



Today, actually(I actually mean today), I present to groups of 50-60 people and love it. My confidence and belief in myself shine through when I present, and it's become a highly effective skill in closing deals and winning the hearts and minds of sales groups.



So, here's the deal...Get out and invest in yourself. Buy some programs, read a few books, do the deal. But, most importantly, make this a part of who you are. The rewards are incredible. My income has multiplied by a factor of 10 since committing to personal development. I credit this as the single biggest factor in my success. But, it doesn't stop here. I firmly believe I've only scratched the surface.



Remember, consistency is key. Make this part of your day, every day.

Simple Disciplines--these are the key to manifesting the vision we hold for our lives. Possibly the most important one is personal development. Your beliefs drive your attitude, your attitude drives what actions you take(or don't take), your actions drive your results(good or bad), and your results determine your lifestyle. So, decide right now to commit to building the right belief systems-beliefs that will empower you. The proper beliefs will drive you to get after it and fight harder when times are tough, instead of forcing you to quit and whine to your wife about how tough your market is, or how bad your company or product is. Enough. Get out and invest in you right now.



Flip the switch

No comments:

Post a Comment